Signs and Steps You Can Take to Identify Hail Damage on Your Home
If you haven’t had a chance to step outside and survey your home for hail damage, today is the day. Don’t waste any more time. If you’re unsure if your home experienced hail damage, we created a list of signs to look for on your roofing, gutters, and siding. If you do not feel comfortable or would rather have a trained storm damage expert to evaluate your home, contact us. Home Solutions of Iowa is your local trusted contractor. We are advanced damage assessment professionals and have a vast knowledge and training of how extreme weather can affect your home. Hail and wind can cause serious damage, if left untreated, can have devastating outcomes. Here are some things to look for when inspecting your home after a hail storm like the one Iowa received on Thursday, May 16th 2019.
Hail Damage on Your Roof
- Missing pieces of asphalt or cracks in your shingles.
- Use your hand to feel your shingles for cracks and dimples, not all dimples are visible to spot by eye.
- When you find dimples in your shingles, use your finger to push on them to see if they offer any give. If they do, the shingle is compromised and should be replaced.
- Search for small dents in metal flashing, valleys, and roof vents.
- Look for black substrate in your shingles, when the black substrate is visible this means the protective granules have been knocked off and the shingles will need to be replaced in order to be effective.
Hail Damage on Your Siding
- Run your hand along with the siding and look for a chalky residue left on your hand, if so this is a sign of oxidation.
- Look for dents, it might be hard to see with a plain eye, but using a high-powered spotlight can help.
- Look in between siding for any significant gaps or unequal gapping across the layers of your siding.
- Buckling or wrapping is a common sign that your siding is damaged especially if you have vinyl siding.
Hail Damage on Your Gutters
- Look for dented gutters, downspouts, leaf guard and screens or toppers.
- The force of the hail could have caused the gutters to pull away from the home, look for sagging or gapping gutters.
- If you notice that your siding has stains on it, that is a sign your gutters are leaking onto the side of your home.
How Does Hail Damage Progress if You Ignore it?
Ignoring hail damage is a very dangerous game and can lead to many problems in your home. What could be a minor fix today could be a MAJOR fix tomorrow. With your roofing and siding acting as your home’s first line of defense from the elements, when compromised, one of the biggest threats is moisture. Water can penetrate and cause mold, rot, and destruction on the inside of your home. The longer you wait, you increase the number of damaging problems.
The Experts at HSI are Here to Help
HSI is here to help. As your local contractor, we have advanced damage assessment professionals that can provide an extensive and efficient assessment of your home. With a HAAG Certified Residential Roofing Inspector on staff and over 20 years of experience in the home improvement industry, we are a full-service exterior remodeling company serving Des Moines and all of Iowa. Contact HSI for your free storm damage assessment.