Rim Joist Project in Altoona, Iowa
Drafty Rooms and Cold Floors in Altoona
In a typical Iowa home, the rim joist area is a large source of energy loss. The rim joist is at the edge of your wood floor framing system, which sits on top of your home’s foundation walls. There are a lot of seams that come together at this point and it is a common area that lacks the appropriate air sealing. This allows the cold winter air outside to leak through the wood joints, gaps, and openings for duct, plumbing, and electric wires.
In this case, the rim joist was insulated with fiberglass batt insulation. This insulation does not stop airflow. The cold air was leaking in causing drafty rooms and cold floors.
Spray Foam Insulation
Our solution, spray foam insulation. Spray foam insulation forms an air barrier wherever it’s applied to diminish air leakage from within the home. The benefit to spray foam is that it air-seals and insulates at the same time. The material can’t be damaged by mold or moisture and doesn’t settle or compress over time.
- Greg’s LeafGuard® Gutter Project in Johnston, Iowaadmin_hsia2020-08-03T19:02:33+00:00
- Robert’s LeafGuard® & Rain Barrel Project in Van Meter, Iowaadmin_hsia2020-08-06T17:48:42+00:00
- Jim’s LeafGuard® Gutter Project in Rockwell City, Iowaadmin_hsia2020-08-03T18:37:57+00:00
- Julie’s LeafGuard® Gutter Project in Winterset, Iowaadmin_hsia2020-08-04T19:37:22+00:00
- Curt’s LeafGuard® Gutter Project In Urbandale, Iowaadmin_hsia2020-07-31T20:18:28+00:00
- Jeff’s LeafGuard® Gutter Project In Des Moines, IowaBecca Novak2020-09-15T15:06:48+00:00