Water In Your Basement?
With all of the rain Iowa has recently received, many residents are experiencing a wet basement. Not sure why you are experiencing water in your basement? Well, it is often caused by a poor drainage system after heavy rain. This can be due to clogged, leaking, or faulty gutters and downspouts that are not properly handling the water runoff. Not only does a wet basement involve growth of mold and mildew but if left unchecked it can pose a threat to your home’s value and can ruin floors, walls, and cause roof damage. Water in your basement can be stressful and a big annoyance to you as a homeowner which is why Home Solutions of Iowa is here to provide tips on how to prevent a wet basement.
5 Common Sources Of Excess Water In Your Basement
- Clogged Gutters:
- Gutters that are clogged can cause water to spill over or behind onto the ground below, pooling against your foundation and damaging your soffit and fascia as well.
- Improperly Installed Gutters and Downspouts:
- Gutters and downspouts are designed to collect rainwater and direct it away from your home safely. Without gutters, the rain will flow off the edges of your roof and onto the ground around your foundation.
- Cracks In Your Foundation:
- Moisture and water can enter the home through foundation cracks. Even the smallest cracks can lead to serious property damage.
- Improper Slope or Grading of Home:
- The slope of the ground directs water away from the foundation of the home. Water can flow towards your home and into your basement if the slope is incorrect.
- Water Flooding:
- The ground can’t always absorb heavy rains quickly enough. This causes the rainwater to pool and sit against the foundation of your home.
4 Tips To Preventing Water In Your Basement
It is important to inspect the exterior part of your home after each storm for any sort of leaks or damages. If you do notice any, it is important to get them examined right away to avoid any sort of damage later down the road.
- Inspect and Clean Your Gutters Regularly
- Repair Any Leaks or Malfunctions In Your Gutters
- Make Sure All Downspouts Carry Rainwater Well Away From Your Home
- Install Downspout Extensions And Splash Pans
Fix Your Wet Basement Today
Your home is your greatest investment. If you are experiencing a wet basement, chances are your gutters may need attention. One of our home experts is ready and willing to come out and assess your Iowa home. LeafGuard® Gutters are the perfect solution you need to make sure you have a dry basement. This one-piece gutter system can handle the heaviest of rainfall with ease. Make sure your home is prepared for the severe storm season. Contact us today to get set up with a free estimate!